Search This Blog

Friday, April 16, 2010

Hachiko

Today I was surfing the web and was reminded of something I havent thought of in years...

I remember as a girl I would read the story of Hachiko and cry till my head hurt. It was, to me the most tragic tale ever. For those of you who dont know it - it is about an Akita called Hachiko who walked his master to and from the station every morning and evening. One day the master has a heart attack at the university where he works and does not come back on the evening train. He dies. But Hachiko goes faithfully to the station every day for the rest of his life (8 years more I think) every evening, waiting and searching for his master in the departing crowds. He died sitting in the very same spot he had waited in all those years.

The story is true and it happened in Japan, and till today there is a statue of Hachiko at the station where he would sit and wait. Hachiko is something of a hero in Japan even now. The devotion and immense love that he showed is something most of us can only hope to see in our lifetime. It still makes me cry.

So go read that story...or see the movie they adapted the story into "Hachiko-A Dog's Tale" and see for yourself what true and unconditional love looks like.

No comments: