Search This Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Music to our ears.

It is a known fact that dogs have better hearing than people and can hear frequencies that we can't, from further away and much, much better. But a less known fact is that dogs can also appreciate music like people do.

For a while now people have used soothing music to calm dogs that have separation anxiety and frankly I have found that when mine were puppies, leaving the radio on when I went out resulted in less destruction than if they were left in a silent house. Perhaps it also helps because the ambient sound drowns out the scary noises of the outside world. Whatever the reason, it seems to work.

Now there are even compilations available on CD exclusively for your pooch's listening pleasure!

I have found that my dogs like music even when they are not home alone. I live in an old fashioned house that is built lengthwise and the very last room in the line is our entertainment and media room. When I am baking, I plug my ipod into the home theatre, put it on shuffle and play the music loud so I can listen while I work. In the entertainment room the volume is usually louder than would be comfortable but in the rest of the house it's just right.

Every time I turn up the music and get to work I find the Beagle trotting off to the back room and curling up on his cushion there, quite comfy and soon fast asleep. Apparently he likes classic rock and 80's pop! His tastes are pretty eclectic though, I once found him wagging his tail in his sleep - interestingly enough he was wagging it in time to a bhangra number that was playing at the time :-) - There's no accounting for taste I guess!

I strongly recommend checking to see if your dog enjoys a tune or two, it can have an incredibly calming effect on even the most neurotic dogs.

No comments: